Learning Objective 1 – Describe the elements of site plans and topographic maps.
- List characteristics of contour lines. Learning Objective 2 • Describe layout control points.
- Explain how to convert between distance measurement systems.
- Identify the types of control points.
- Explain how to place control points and other markers.
- Describe how to communicate information on control points and other markers.
- Discuss how control markers are colorcoded.
Learning Objective 3 – Identify distance measurement tools and equipment.
- Explain how to use tapes.
- Explain how to use range poles.
- Explain how to use plumb bobs and gammon reels.
- Explain how to use hand sight levels.
Learning Objective 4 – Describe how to make distance measurements.
- Explain how to estimate distances by pacing.
- Describe how to measure distances electronically.
Learning Objective 5 – Identify differential-leveling tools and equipment.
- Identify leveling instruments.
- Describe the use of tripods.
- Describe the use of leveling rods. d. Explain how to set up and adjust leveling instruments.
- Explain how to test the calibration of leveling instruments.
Learning Objective 6 – Explain the basics of differential leveling.
- Define differential-leveling terminology.
- Explain the differential-leveling procedure.
- Explain how field notes are recorded and used.
Learning Objective 7 – Identify leveling applications.
- Explain how to transfer elevations up a structure.
- Explain profile, cross-section, and grid leveling.
Learning Objective 8 – Describe how to lay out building corners.
- Explain how to construct batter boards.
- Describe how to use the 3-4-5 rule.
Performance Task 1 (Learning Objective 1) • Interpret a construction site plan and relate the man-made and topographic features and other project information to the layout and topography of the actual site.
Performance Task 2 (Learning Objective 2) • Convert measurements stated in feet and inches to equivalent decimal measurements stated in feet, tenths, and hundredths, and vice versa.
Performance Task 3 (Learning Objective 5) • Set up, adjust, and field-test a leveling instrument.
Performance Task 4 (Learning Objective 5) • Use a builder’s level and leveling rod to determine site and building elevations.
Performance Task 5 (Learning Objective 7) • Use differential-leveling and distance-measurement procedures to transfer elevations up a structure.
Performance Task 6 (Learning Objective 8) • Check and/or establish 90-degree angles using the 3-4-5 rule.