Learning Objective 1 – Name and describe the ingredients and types of mortar.
- Describe the use of portland cement, hydrated lime, and sand. Describe masonry cement.
- Describe preblended mortars.
- Describe the use of water and admixtures.
- Describe the types of masonry mortar.
Learning Objective 2 – Describe properties of plastic and hardened mortar.
- Describe plastic mortar.
- Describe hardened mortar.
Learning Objective 3 – Identify the common problems found in mortar application and their solutions.
- Describe the effects of improper proportioning and poor-quality materials.
- Explain the effects of extreme weather and tempering.
- Describe efflorescence.
Learning Objective 4 – Explain how to properly set up, maintain, and dispose of mortar and use the mortar mixing area.
- Describe how to set up the mixing area.
- Describe how to maintain the mixing area.
- Describe how to mix mortar with a power mixer.
Performance Task 1 (Learning Objective 4) • Properly set up the mortar mixing area.
Performance Task 2 (Learning Objective 4) • Properly mix mortar with a power mixer.