Learning Objective 1 Explain business and organizational structures in the construction industry.
- Describe formal and informal organizations and understand organizational charts.
- Describe organizational roles and relationships, including job descriptions and responsibility, authority, and accountability.
Learning Objective 2 Describe frontline leadership and communication skills.
- Describe the qualities and role of a leader, including leadership styles and ethical leadership.
- Explain the communication process and distinguish between verbal, nonverbal, written, and visual communication types.
- Compare problem-solving and decisionmaking.
Learning Objective 3 Identify key skills for team leadership and motivation.
- Choose strategies to motivate individuals and a team.
- Describe key approaches to building and leading diverse, high-performing teams.
- Recognize how to approach leadership challenges, such as transitioning from peer to leader, addressing performance issues, and resolving conﬂict.
Learning Objective 4 Identify a frontline leader’s safety leadership r esponsibilities.
- Assess the impact of incidents.
- Explain the purpose of OSHA and describe the role of OSHA in administering worker safety.
- Describe the importance of safety and health programs.
- Explain the frontline leader’s role in incident preparedness and response.
- Recognize the importance of supporting your crew’s total health.
Learning Objective 5 Demonstrate an understanding of construction project phases, project planning and scheduling, ﬁeld reporting, and cost and resource management.
- Identify construction project phases and compare project delivery methods.
- Summarize crew planning and scheduling responsibilities, including creating lookahead schedules.
- Describe the frontline leader’s role in ﬁ eld reporting.
- Explain approaches to managing costs and controlling project resources, such as materials, tools, and equipment.
Performance Task 1 (Learning Objective 2) 1. Organize and deliver a safety-related toolbox talk, applying communication skills.
Performance Task 2 (Learning Objective 2) 2. Complete a job safety analysis.
Performance Task 3 (Learning Objective 2) 3. Develop and present a lookahead schedule.