Learning Objective 1 – Describe modern masonry materials and techniques.
- Explain how concrete masonry units (CMUs or block) are used in construction.
- Explain how clay masonry units (brick) are used in construction.
- Explain how stone is used in construction.
- Describe how mortar and grout are used in masonry construction.
- Describe how wall structures are created using masonry units.
Learning Objective 2 – Recognize the basic safety precautions when working with masonry materials.
- List basic safety practices.
- Describe personal protective equipment used in masonry.
Learning Objective 3 – Explain how to mix mortar and lay masonry units.
- Explain how to mix mortar.
- Describe how to lay masonry units.
Learning Objective 4 – Describe the skills, attitudes, and abilities needed to be a successful mason.
- Identify the skills of a successful mason.
- Identify the attitudes of a successful mason.
- Identify the abilities of a successful mason.
- Explore career ladders and advancement possibilities in masonry.
Learning Objective 5 – Summarize how to be connected to the industry through an organization like SkillsUSA. a. Understand the program, curriculum, and SkillsUSA championships. b. Understand SkillsUSA membership. c. Understand the National Program of Work Standards.
Performance Task 1 (Learning Objective 2) – Put on eye protection and respiratory protection.
Performance Task 2 (Learning Objective 3) – Properly mix mortar by hand. Performance Task 3 (Learning Objective