Learning Objective 1 – Explain how to use formulas.
- Explain the sequence of operations in solving a problem using a formula.
- Explain how squares and square roots are derived. c Define angles and identify the types of angles.
Learning Objective 2 – Explain how math is used to solve right triangle problems.
- Explain how to determine the length of a slope.
- Explain how a building is laid out using right triangle math.
Learning Objective 3 – Define area and explain why determining the area of a space is required.
- Determine the area of squares and rectangles.
- Determine the area of a triangle.
- Determine the area of a trapezoid.
- Determine the area of a circle.
Learning Objective 4 – Define volume and explain the purpose of calculating volume.
- Calculate the volume of a cube.
- Calculate the volume of a prism.
- Calculate the volume of a cylinder. d Describe the estimating process used to determine the volume and weight of simple and complex excavations.
Performance Task 1 (Learning Objective 4) • Using information provided by the instructor, calculate the volume and weight of a given excavation project.