Learning Objective 1 Successful completion of this module prepares trainees to: Identify and describe how operators can safely drive a forklift.
- a. Describe OSHA requirements for operating a forklift.
- b. Describe the primary causes of forklift fatalities and how they can be avoided.
- c. Describe the role equipment inspections play in forklift safety.
- d. Identify and describe safe forklift refueling practices.
- e. Review and identify hand and verbal signals for forklift operations.
Learning Objective 2 Successful completion of this module prepares trainees to: Describe the distinguishing features of SDCB forklifts.
a. Explain the difference between OSHA Class 1, Class 2, Class 4, and Class 5 forklifts.
b. Identify and describe basic features of vertical mast forklifts.
Learning Objective 3 Successful completion of this module prepares trainees to: Identify and describe instruments and controls found on SDCB forklifts.
a. Explain the function of the instruments and controls found in the operator’s cab.
b. Describe the categories of forklift controls.
c. Describe how switches are used on SDCB forklifts.
Learning Objective 4 Successful completion of this module prepares trainees to: Describe the types of attachments and how they extend a forklift’s capabilities.
a. Describe how to determine what attachment should be used.
b. Explain why the use of any attachment introduces new hazards and safety risks.
Learning Objective 5 Successful completion of this module prepares trainees to: Explain the difference between scheduled maintenance and daily inspections.
a. Describe the benefits of scheduled maintenance and what inspections are performed at each of the major intervals.
b. Describe the types of inspections that should occur during daily forklift inspection.
Learning Objective 6 Successful completion of this module prepares trainees to: Explain how to safely operate and use a forklift.
a. Explain the importance of preparing to work with a forklift.
b. Explain load capacity and its relationship to the Stability Triangle and Pyramid.
c. Describe how to start and shutdown a forklift.
d. Explain how to maneuver with a load.
e. Explain how to pick up, move, and place a load.
- 1. Demonstrate the proper hand signals and voice signals used in forklift operation.
- 2. Demonstrate knowledge and use of forklift controls found in the operator’s cab.
- 3. Interpret forklift load charts used with attachments.
- 4. Perform a pre-start inspection and maintenance check.
- 5. Start, warm up, and shut down a forklift.
- 6. Perform basic maneuvers with a forklift.
- 7. Perform basic lifting and placing operations with a forklift.